Friday 10 January 2014

Looking back ..













Today's what the old newsrooms would call "A quiet news day" and so - you know me - I'll grab any opportunity to put out yet another photograph of .. me!! There I am, looking back through a chemist's window - circa 1979/80 - all Deirdre Barlow glasses and scruffy jacket, working hard to become a famous Street Photographer (Still working on that bit, by the way!) I found this image in a folder on the desktop called "To Do" .. images I've yet to make up my mind about, though I think this one's grown on me enough now to gain inclusion into my archive (And no, not just because I'm in it!)

January of old was always like this. Nothing going on yet still a newspaper to fill. You could go out as a freelance and set up photographs with the most tenuous of stories and they'd be snapped out of your hands and put in the paper before you could say 'My other camera's a Hasselblad'! I remember going down to a grey gloomy lake on a chilly day in 1983 and finding a guy paddling about in a bath-tub! (I cannot for the life of me remember why but I think he was in training for some weird kind of forthcoming charity event) Well, cue 'January Sail' photo and the cheque's in the post, thank you very much! Ah, those were the days...

No comments:

Post a Comment